Tuesday, September 16, 2008

He's A Radical Guy

Today I had a pretty cool experience. It may not seem exciting to anyone else but me, and you will probably wonder why on earth I'd even share a blog about it. Except the other person involved of course.

I walk to work everyday. Traveling around Amsterdam for a few weeks with walking being our only mode of transportation got me really used to walking and I actually enjoy it a lot. Now that I live less than half a mile from my job, I have started walking to work in the morning, home for lunch, back to work, and home for the day. There are some weeks where I only drive twice, and when I walk around the corner into my apartment complex, I see my car sitting under it's covered spot looking lonely and a little sad.

There's a few different ways I can walk since my work is on the other side of the street I walk down. I can have a few different combinations in where I cross the street. Some mornings one side of the street has more sun, and some afternoons one side has more shade. I get my iPod running, get my bag over the shoulder, and start my trek. There are construction people that sometimes stand in the middle of a street holding signs, routine people riding their bikes, the lady on the Vespa who drives home from the gym every morning, and countless others making their way to work. It's been my "moving sanctuary" for about a month now, and today, I let someone else in.

Dear ol' Dad.

My Dad drove to my work, walked home with me for lunch, let me point out the goofy things I notice each day, listened to the noises two of the pedestrian signs make, and then walked back to work with me. No one has ever walked with me on my daily routine, and the change of pace was pretty cool. Mostly because it was my Dad. He told me of some neat plans he has and the things he's been doing on his vacation, and it made me real proud that he's my Dad. I've always been proud, but I couldn't help thinking it more when I thought about he and I walking together where normally it's just me. Can't say I know many other Dad's who would want to try walking home for lunch with his kid while he's on vacation.

I've got a pretty rad father :)