Monday, December 7, 2009

The War Against Spam

Every day at work, I wage war.

My company has a forum for members to use so they can get advice and tips from other members in their same profession. Only trouble with forums is SPAMMERS.

Each day, I get the awesome task of receiving the new user emails. One by one, I have to go into their profile and check to see if they are legit or not. A quick tip off are the ones from other countries or the user names that are most likely X-rated websites. Oh the joys.

There's about six of these spam user names that come back to haunt me at least once a day. I can actually recognize the users and know where they are from and what their alleged interests are. I know the ones from Norway, Australia, Japan, Africa and even Italy, and I know that even though I'm about to delete their profile, they will be back.

War happens some days- I will delete one of the users and within minutes, I get another email letting me know that the yahoo I just deleted has signed up again. I've deleted the same user four times in one day!

To all the spammers- please, get a new job. If I ever meet you face to face and you are behind the crazy user name from the other countries and awkward "service" providers I have to deal with every day, I may just feel the need to smack you in the face. Hard.

No comments: