Tuesday, January 4, 2011

A Hefty Resolution

I go through phases where I need to read. I get obsessed with reading an entire series, whether for the first or fifteenth time or a new book I've heard about or always wanted to read. I'm in that phase now. I read (and wrote) so much in years past, and I've missed getting into books and using them as a momentary escape (in the healthiest way of course).

With the New Year here, I realized it's been quite a few years since I've made a resolution. So, with my current literary craze, I decided to try my hand at some of the greats. I've read a few of these years ago, but I'm about to embark on a potentially unattainable journey of pouring over paper and ink and filling my head with more words than I'll know what to do with. In addition to a Book Club I'm in reading Gregory Maguire, here's my hopeful list:

1. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
2. Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
3. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
4. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
5. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
6. Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman
7. Middlemarch by George Eliot
8. The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
9. The Castle by Franz Kafka
10. The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner

Yes, there's a few long ones in there. If I disappear for a few days, don't be afraid. Be assured I will have to surface at some point. I'm starting with Jane Eyre (thanks Mae!), and working my way through in no special order. If I finish, I will have read some incredible works of art. I hope to add to this list as time goes on... no matter how many I'm actually able to finish in 2011, I want to finish them all eventually and add more for the years to come.

No comments: