Monday, August 25, 2008

she said what?

The only problem with blogs is that everyone can see them. I have a whole mess of thoughts and things swimming around upstairs, but more often than not I wonder if what's swimming in the noggin' would actually be too offensive to people. If I comment on my personal thoughts, would someone end up thinking I'm a jerk? Would it hurt someones feelings? At what point do I just decide that what I'm processing is more important to me than how someone else might perceive who I am and what I'm about? I don't think of myself as a mean person, but some of my original thoughts could easily hurt a persons feelings because the things I'm interested in, and the things I'm seriously not interested in, could be taken the wrong way and make someone upset.

On that note, I will speak a tiny bit incognito for the moment. I've agreed to do something that I love at a place I'm not too thrilled about. My attitude towards it is completely mixed, knowing that I'm doing the right thing by agreeing, but wishing the surroundings were much different.

A friend and I were talking not long after we came home from Holland about how to deal with coming home and how easy it would be to almost insult people by saying where we live now is terrible because I like it in Holland so much, when for that person, Vancouver to them could be Holland for me. Ever since that conversation, I've really started to evaluate how I say things I like or dislike. Hence the above paragraph.

If I said I hated an activity or place that another person loved, would that be considered an offense towards them? If so, why on earth express opinions at all? I should just keep quiet and speak only when spoken to, and with a courteous attitude.

On the flip side, there's plenty of things that I really do like and enjoy that I'm unwilling to admit or really spend a lot of time dwelling on. What if something I love brings horrible memories for another person, or is completely offensive to them? In an effort to portray the love of Christ, I really do have to evaluate everything I say. I get that, and it's completely Biblical because we are always taught to tame the tongue and present ourselves as holy and keeping everything pure. But then that goes back to Romans where things can be permissable but not profitable, and there's this never ending vicious circle of wondering.

Oh, and one more thing-I am one of the most analytical people I know. But since I wrestle with the previous statements of what to say and when to say it and vice versa, my analyzing tends to fly under most people's radar.

Am I lacking judgement or courage? Guess that depends on the topic and how it would affect you...

No comments: