Monday, February 18, 2013

I am sew a perfectionist.


I’ve always thought of myself as a creative person, whether or not it’s true in real life. That being said, I’m also a full on perfectionist. I’m talking major, over the top, for real perfectionist. In high school, I took a personality test in one of my elective classes and tested 98% perfectionist. As in, on a scale of 1-10 for being a perfectionist, I was almost a 10. Now, that doesn't diminish any other characteristics I have, but it definitely puts a huge filter on how I live. 

Over the years I've learned to temper that perfectionist nature with the reality that I never actually can be or will be perfect here on earth, and understand the limits and boundaries of this trait. It gets easier, and the Lord has truly brought me to a better understanding of how to use this for good. But, when it comes to things of a creative nature, I'm still in first grade on the learning curve. 

As I've eluded to, my 30th year is all about intentionality. I'm doing new things, meeting new people and trying to be purposeful with my time. A few weeks ago, I decided to try out a hobby many of my friends have gotten into before - sewing. My mom knows how, my friends know how... I thought I could figure it out. I sent my friends with money to a fabric store, said find whatever you want for me, and within a few hours one Saturday I had created my very first sewing project, a coffee sleeve. 

It was rough, to say the least. My patient sewing teacher had to help a little, but it turned out alright in the end. The second one was even better, and that I did entirely on my own, and even gave it to my mother as a birthday present. 

Well, one sewing machine, a pile of buttons and a dozen fabrics later, I'm still making the sleeves. My own machine is something I'm slowly getting used to, and picking out fabrics and matching buttons has been a dream. But, that perfectionist nature comes out towards the end of each sleeve when it's all finished and I look at the seams. I am so critical that I doubt I'd honestly want to sell any of them to anyone ever, because there's always the chance that the next one will be better! The end frays on one, the back stitch ended up out of line, the fleece backing was cut wrong... it's always something. There's literally only one that I think is even close to perfect, and I'm keeping it as a reminder that I've done it before, and after a dozen more tries I'm sure I can do it again! 



They are multi-purpose, easy gifts, and even I'm using them on a regular basis, and find joy out of showing people the latest ones I've made. 

Regardless, it's been a creative outlet for me and I'm loving it. I may take forever in deciding when they are good enough for the masses, if that ever happens, but until then, the creative person in me is getting to know JoAnn's  really well and enjoying the new hobby I've found. 

And yes, the title is definitely on purpose, for all you grammar, reading and literary experts out there.  

No comments: