Sunday, January 26, 2014

Just Once... Or Maybe Twice

It started when I was 10. Or maybe 11.

Our class had to choose a state to do big project, and I chose New York. The big tri-fold cardboard poster with facts and photos and research. And that's when I got hooked.

Ever since, NY has been in the back (and sometimes front) of my mind. I always enjoy shows and movies set in NYC, and often find myself more engrossed in the city than the characters and plot. But for some reason, I've never made it there. Not yet anyway.

I've tried twice. Both times with friends I know I would have enjoyed going with, friends I have a great time with, and would love to have experienced the city with. But both times... they ended up pregnant and unable to go. The result of both were amazing, incredible children (both girls, actually), but still meant I wasn't going to go to the one city I've always dreamed of going to. In fact, if I know someone wants to have a baby, I jokingly tell them to start planning a trip to NYC with me and it'll happen.

I want to ride the subway, eat from a street vendor, visit Central Park, find an Irish bar and look at all the memorabilia on the walls, take photos of old buildings and restaurants I see in movies and shows, ride in a cab, get coffee from Dean and DeLuca, people watch and much more. Much, much more.

Oh yah, and try the pizza.

Someday NYC, we will meet. And I'll have built up such high expectations that you might disappoint, but I'll try to keep a good head on my shoulders. I promise. Let's just set a date for this meet up, yah?

No comments: