It’s not like I didn’t know it was coming. I received the text about buying plane tickets, started hearing about travel plans and dates, even began to inherit and/or store items that just wouldn’t fit in the suitcases. But now that it’s really here...
I vaguely remember you coming home from the hospital. The only memory is of you crying in the bathroom - I think maybe Mom was giving you a bath or something. But all you did was cry, and from that moment, everything changed.
For most of the younger years, everything blends in. I don’t remember that day I made you play ‘wedding’ with me, even though we have video to prove it. But I do remember the glazed look you always had. It wasn’t until you started to get taller than me that I really remember much of who you were. I think that may have been when you started to find your own voice and actually speak once in a while.
But it wasn’t until I moved out and you had your first heartbreak that we really became sisters and friends. I’ll never forget that call in my first apartment and wanting to slaughter the boy who did it. I’m so thankful that since then you’ve found your prince charming and I finally got my brother. He’s a keeper, and the best addition to our family.
Kid - we may not always agree, we may not always understand each other, but we’ll always be sisters. Besides, what’s a 6 hour plane ride away when there’s several decades of life lived, eh? And I’m not kidding, there is no one in the entire world that will make me laugh as hard and long as you. Except maybe on family game night when nakedness is part of the topic.
Be safe, have fun and love all the people you meet. Be a blessing to those around you and you’ll be blessed in this crazy and awesome adventure. Oh, and send me a postcard for my desk ;)
Aloha kaikaina…
No comments:
Post a Comment