
Lately I have been thinking about confidence, a lot. Why some people have it and others do not, where does it come from, and how it is attained. After observing many people I view as confident, I have come to the conclusion that I have no idea how people become that way.
For believers, confidence can clearly come from the saving grace we have in Jesus, knowing that we are infinitely loved by our creator and best friend. But even knowing that truth, that we are loved for who we are on the inside simply because we are God's creation doesn't always sink in and translate into our thoughts and actions. I know plenty of Christians who have no confidence at all and walk around life terrified.
So then, is confidence brought about by our looks? Of the people I observed, not all were necessarily noteworthy in appearance. A few have more pounds than needed, others have crooked teeth or frizzy hair, bad style and poor wardrobe tastes, and even a few were borderline creepy. But still, confidence exuded from them all. They were confident that when they walked around in the world they would be noticed and accepted, regardless of the truth that many people probably won't and don't accept them or could pick apart their looks in disastrous ways.
What about personality? I know some outrageous personalities with enough confidence for an entire city. Although they are generally loud and too much for me, I do envy the amount of confidence it takes to create that much attention and be OK with that much attention towards them at all times. Sure, they are annoying at times and down right obnoxious, but they don't seem to worry about it.
Can confidence come in our accomplishments? People who have done "cool" things or have obvious talents and gifts are generally labeled accordingly and continuing to do those things will obviously bring about confidence, but only in small doses and related to that accomplishment. A shy person with an amazing gift for painting will have confidence when their work is praised, even if the attention they receive makes them turn bright red.
So where does it come from then? How are those people who are consistently confident able to stay that way, while the rest of us only have fleeting moments? Or, is it possible that even they have their moments of doubt but refuse to let it show? I guess that brings up an even deeper question of honesty and reality... but it's only Monday and I'm not quite ready for that discussion... :)
No comments:
Post a Comment