I've been in Amsterdam for about 6 hours, and I'm still waiting for it all to kick in. After a nine hour and four minute flight that was uncomfortable, long, and sometimes just downright not cool, I get off the plane to find myself in an airport, and outside it just looks like outside. Nothing distinguishes this city from any other. I had dressed for colder weather and was met with one of the warmer days they've seen recently, so I'm dragging this suitcase along to the train, onto the train, and then the walk to De Poort, feeling like I'm standing in dead heat. Our lodgings are small but cozy, and no surprise, I'm so ready to sleep. At this point in the day, I've been up for 24 hours straight (I failed miserably in my attempts to sleep on the flight), and going on only five hours of sleep from Monday night.
Good news-this city is amazing. The buildings and the eclectic people are starting to make me realize I'm in another country, in Europe. Once everyone settled in and we had a brief rundown of how everything works at our lodgings, our team set out to wander the streets in an effort to stay awake and overcome jet lag. Since we missed lunch, Ryan and I bought some lunch stuff for everyone and we ate in a park near about 10 different Heineken stores. Then we took a scenic route through the middle of the city to a cafe. The shops all along the bottom were varied, some commonly found in the US and others I couldn't even pronounce. Above these shops and businesses are old buildings and apartments. They tower above everything and I felt very small. Street performers stand randomly in the squares, today dressed as Darth Vador, a jewelled version of King Triton, and a British guy on stilts shouting to a crowd.
Upon reaching the cafe, we all sat down eager to catch a break, and instantly everyone started getting that glossed look over their eyes. We ordered coffee and tea, drank in mostly silence, and finally began the walk back to De Poort, stopping first in a huge library (where I am currently writing) not far away.
I've felt hot, humid, tired, grumpy, awestruck, confused, overwhelmed, excited, and extremely curious. Tonight we meet with the YWAM hosts to talk over a schedule, then tomorrow we present our team with the plan of action for the days to come. I ask for prayer in overcoming the tiredness, unity in our team, willingness to be flexible, hearts that are ready to work and serve, and attitudes that are excited to move on and get this party started.
Oh, and I'm seriously becoming a mom- already told everyone to keep drinking water so they won't get dehydrated, and if Cam wanders off without telling anyone one more time... ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment