Thursday, July 24, 2008

A Walk In The Park

I can't remember a time feeling more exhausted.

After spending over 30 hours straight without sleep, one would think that I would immediately crash the minute my head hit the pillow. That's what I thought was reasonable. However, a few seconds after I crawled into bed for some much needed sleep around 11pm, a fireworks show decided to start. Luiza had woken up then, and we watched for a bit until sleep decided to come calling. I learned something about sleep-it's a total player. I could not fall asleep, my head wouldn't turn off, and each time I came close I'd wake up completely feeling irritated. I gave up around 5:30am and just got up. Needless to say, I've had to work hard to contain the sometimes less than favorable attitude that comes along with no sleep.

After breakfast we had a team meeting explaining a rough draft version of our events and ministry over the next two weeks. With certain people being a bit uncooperative, Ryan and I spent a few hours last night hammering out details and coming up with plans of our own, plans we are really excited about and very happy with. After doing some devotions, we headed out to the Rembrandt museum, about a thirty minute walk away. I was seriously tired by this time so I don't think I enjoyed it as much as I could have, but of course it was fascinating. Intricate dollhouses, Delft pottery, huge Rembrandt paintings, and even two Japanese guys that used to guard the temple. Don't worry, they were stone.

The walk back was excruciating, pretty sure we circled the city a few times. Took a detour through a market (where I got my first presents for people) and that kind of turned us around. With five minutes to spare we made it to dinner.

Tomorrow starts some of the first real ministry, morning worship at the Tabernacle which is near the Cleft in the District, then we start working on the Bible studies we are preparing for the Dutch youth that are coming to stay on Sunday. Tomorrow night will be our first real venture into the true Red Light District, going to the Cleft in the evening and seeing how that part of the city "lights up", no pun intended.

Prayer-

-A few of us are still deeling with sleep deprivation, pray that this leaves quickly.
-Pray that as our team begins to work together on ministry that we function well, with good attitudes and a servant heart, seeking to provide insightful knowledge to these youth as we fold them into ministry
-pray for strength and clarity of mind as we enter the district, and a heart that is ready to be broken for the people we meet
-pray for me as I juggle our budget and spending needs, that the euro won't mess me up too badly :)
-we still have two days of ministry we need to fill in, please pray that we get in touch with people OR we come up with ways we can minister on our own
-pray for the heart of the youth as they come to join us.

I will try and update again soon, now it's time for some sleep! :)

1 comment:

Andrea said...

YAY!!!! So happy to see updates from you! You are so in my thoughts and prayers. I know this will be a phenomenal experience. I pray that you will experience tremendous strength, courage, and endurance on this journey. May your character be stretched and enriched dear friend. God is faithful, his love is bold and big, and poured into each step you take.
Love ya lots!!! Gonna miss you Sunday.